The Sullivan Amateur Radio Club’s annual trip to Taum Sauk Mountain State Park is scheduled for this Saturday, September 12th. We will drive down in the morning with the intent of being onsite around 10:00 am. We’ll set up radios and antennas, cook (and eat) some food and have a bunch of fun!
Since we have people coming down on different paths, we will plan to meet in the parking lot of Hardees in Potosi at the intersection of Highway 21 and Highway 8 at 9:00 am. From there we’ll caravan on down to the park intending to arrive there around 10:00 am. For anyone interested in stopping at Ruble’s Meat Market in Arcadia (link), we would suggest you stop on the way down rather than wait till the trip back because they close at 4:00 pm on Saturdays. We found this out the hard way last year!
For those unfamiliar with the park, we will be going to where the base of the Fire Tower is. You can climb the tower to just below the cabin. The view is pretty amazing! There are restrooms on site at the location.
The current forecast from wunderground.com for Ironton, MO tomorrow is for thunderstorms in the afternoon with a high of 81 degrees. As I recall rain was predicted last year too but I don’t recall it raining on the mountain at all.
Steelville Repeater 146.640, – offset, 110.9 tone
Simplex – 146.500
Things to bring:
- Radio and Antennas, Coax and whatever accessories you need
- Battery for the radio and connecting cables
- Table/platform if you are bring a radio
- Chair to sit in
- Bug spray
- Whatever food you’d like to eat. I believe that Chris Williams will be bringing a grill so we might cook whatever meat you bring along.
- Rain gear and something to protect your radio if you bring one in the case of inclement weather.